Monday, November 24, 2014

Missing Our Leaders....Especially Now

When I was young I was a troubled young man with anger issues.  I often fought and got into all manner of trouble.  One of the ways I was taught to control my emotions is to write.  I find that when I'm consumed with emotion, writing helps me "see my thoughts" and control my energy.  On the eve of the grand jury's decision regarding Darren Wilson I again find myself consumed with emotion.  I imagine I'll be writing quite a bit.....

It's times like these when I wish we had leaders like Malcolm and Martin still with us.  It's times like these when I wish we had leaders with the fortitude of the elders and not these milksop cowards we've got running around now.

These fools don't do anything.  They'll show up and organize a rally or march, run their mouths, march, raise some money and disappear.    They'll placate us with honeyed words and patronize us with useless platitudes. 

Most importantly they'll tell us "violence is not the answer" without providing any answer of their own.  Our young people need guidance.  Help.  Leadership.  They are despondent and frustrated over a society that seems to want the dead.  They aren't receiving equal justice under the law.  They tell our young people to "be smart" but they wont provide a reasonable and pragmatic solution.  They wont arm them with a means to properly resist and oppose the system.  Again they'll just offer useless platitudes and nothing of substance.

Then it hits me and I'm reminded of the truth.  We can't rely on our "leaders".  We must be our own leaders.  Each one must teach one.  We have to find our own way and not depend on these suited weasels to assist us.  Still, even with that understanding, we could sure use Malcolm right now....

No comments:

Post a Comment