Tuesday, December 2, 2014

You Don't Know Bill Cosby. Stop Pretending You Do

I want to preface this blog posting by saying by no means am I implying guilt or innocence with this post.  I do however want to make a clear point. 

I've heard several people say over the past few weeks that there is no way that Bill Cosby could possibly be guilty of the allegations of rape and sexual misconduct that have been brought against him.  I've talked to people who have staunchly and rigorously defended Cosby against his accusers.  What has baffled me to be quite honest is not that they are defending him but the reasons why they are defending him.   I've heard people say "I grew up with Bill Cosby.  I grew up watching Bill Cosby.  Cosby could never do anything like that."  If you are one of those people then I must tell you that I find your position...well...ridiculous.

First of all let's deal in reality.  Bill Cosby is a comedian and an actor.  The beloved characters you grew up watching are just that.  Characters.  Heathcliff Huxtable is not real.  The animated characters you grew to love are not real.  The man that was on stage telling jokes that made you laugh until your sides ached was simply doing what comedians do.

Let's be honest.  Bill Cosby has touched all of our lives in some way and many of us have fond memories of him whether it be from stage, movies, TV sitcoms, or animated cartoons. But we should not dismiss the charges against him just because at one time he made us feel good.  We should not be so quick to defend him simply because he made us smile or laugh.  Rape is a very serious crime and we should treat it as such.  Blind reverence is a very dangerous thing and if Mr. Cosby is guilty of these charges he should be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

I've been very critical of Cosby for a long time and I will readily admit that.  I've taken issue with Cosby's condescending approach and tone to young black people.  I've sharply criticized his comments regarding struggling black Americans.  That said,  this is not an attempt to strike at Cosby.  As I said, this blog posting is not about suggesting guilt or innocence.  It's about why we shouldn't dismiss these allegations simply because it's Bill Cosby.

You didn't grow up with Cosby.  You grew up with characters on television, stage, and movies.  You grew up with animated shows and stand-up routines.  You don't know Bill Cosby. Stop acting as if you do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment