Tuesday, January 24, 2017

The Outrageous Hypocrisy of Evangelicals




I want to write about something that really isn't being talked about all that much.  Something that is on my mind and hasn't left me alone since November. 

Evangelical Christians voted overwhelmingly in favor of Donald Trump.  I mean the number wasn't even close.  It was in the stratosphere.  I'm talking 80% of Evangelicals.  They overwhelmingly support Trump.  They are completely behind him.  What's more, many of them are PROUD that they voted for Trump.  They voted for Trump with great enthusiasm.  I don't mind telling you that it boggles the mind.

I mean how can evangelicals even attempt to justify their support of Donald Trump? I mean it's not like Trump's transgressions are some well guarded secret.  We all know his history.  We all saw how he behaved on the campaign trail.  He has been married three times.  He is a serial adulterer.  He is a pathological liar.  He's been accused of rape and pedophilia. I mean I'm not making this stuff up.  It's out there for anyone and everyone to see.  Yet none of those things bothered them one single bit. 

I mean this is the same group of people that are damning everyone to hell for just about everything imaginable.  Pre-marital sex or sex out of wedlock?  You're going to hell.  Divorced?  Practice any other faith but Christianity? You're going to hell.  Smoke?  Drink?  Party?  Hell, hell, and hell.  Oh and don't get me started on their approach to our sisters and brothers in the LGBT community.  Or their approach to any woman who has ever had an abortion.  You would think The Donald wouldn't even be a consideration.  But the exact opposite was true.  He was not only their first choice, he was their only choice.

I've even heard evangelicals say nonsensical things like "God can work with anyone" or "We don't know Trump's heart".  Well if God can work with anyone why wouldn't God work with any of the other candidates running for the office? Why would God choose someone completely lacking a moral center?  We don't know Trump's heart but we DO know his history. You're telling me God chose HIM of all people?  Of course these are rhetorical questions. If you asked evangelicals any of these questions they would most certainly with respond with empty and useless platitudes and scriptures. 

I have theories mind you.  I could talk about how evangelical Christianity is interwoven with White Supremacy. I could talk about how it's no coincidence that most evangelical Christians identify as conservatives.  I could talk about how right wing politics and Christianity have become big business in America.  But I'll save all that for another posting for another day.

Instead I'll just sit back and observe as evangelical Christians engage in almost legendary levels of hypocrisy.  It's astounding to me...and not in a good way either.  It reaffirms a lot of what I've already come to know about the church in America.  But I'll save that for another post on another day as well.  Thanks for reading.

Follow me on Twitter @DocSinn
On Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/officialdocsinn

No comments:

Post a Comment