Thursday, June 20, 2013

Freedom of Hate Speech

I have a question.  Am I the only person that finds it horribly ironic(not to mention unforgivably stupid) that when racists want to defend hateful and discriminatory behavior they start quoting the Constitution and talking about freedom?  Am I the only person in the world who finds it bizarre that there are people who believe they have the RIGHT to disrespect others and that RIGHT is protected by the Constitution? Or that those very same people will attempt to take you to task if THEY feel disrespected or violated?

I being very serious right now.  Early this afternoon I read a story about a group of young girls in Franklin NJ forming a "White Girl's Club".  These girls engaged in racist behavior including posting offensive material on the internet, referring to African Americans as monkeys, wearing racially offensive T-Shirts and all kinds of foolishness.   The Superintendent of Schools and the Franklin Township Board of Education found out about this, conducted an investigation, and forced the girls into counseling.  You can read the story here: (http://www.nj.com/somerset/index.ssf/2013/05/superintendent_white_girls_clu.html)

Now as a black man living in the US, I am not at all surprised by any of this foolishness.  But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at least taken aback by all the fools crying about freedom of speech and how these girls have the Constitutional right to be racist.  I'm not kidding.  There are people who think that shit.  That's what's so disturbing about the mindset of many Americans today.  There are people who think that racism, sexism, anti-Semitism, homophobia, etc  are all protected by the Constitution of the United States.  There are people who believe they have the God given right to be as hateful as they please.  They actually believe that as Americans they have the fundamental right to disrespect, degrade, and even oppress you.

Now granted, some of these fools are just racists looking for justification.  But there really are a ton of people who actually believe discrimination and oppression is their right.  Who told them this shit? How does one go about dealing with these people?  How does one go about speaking with these people?  What is going on in their minds?  Setting aside that the Constitution was written by slave owners, I keep searching the 1st Amendment looking for something that sanctions hate speech and racism but sadly...I keep coming up empty.  Maybe you can succeed(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution)

It really makes you want to holla and throw up both your hands.   I mean, what else can you do when the stupidity, ignorance, and intolerance are as thick as old peanut butter?  Ah well....

Check me out on FB:  http://www.facebook.com/officialdocsinn
Follow me on Twitter: @DocSinn
Check out my internet radio show(New broadcasts start in July) http://www.blogtalkradio.com/docsinn

One Love Y'all

No comments:

Post a Comment